PLC Adding voices to the philosophy curriculum
In this PLC, philosophy teachers work together to diversify the Dutch philosophy curriculum. International experts will share their knowledge in online lectures. It is important that you speak Dutch fluently, because the working language of the PLC meetings is Dutch.
GOAL & RESULT
The Dutch secondary education philosophy curriculum lacks diversity. Women philosophers and philosophers who fall outside of the Western canon are only marginally represented. Teachers would like to diversify their lessons, but they do not have enough time or expertise.
This Professional Learning Community (PLC) is aimed at overcoming both challenges. First, we invite international guest speakers to bring the necessary expertise to the Dutch teacher community. Second, we aim at publishing the outcomes of the PLC in a special journal edition with clear lesson plans, to facilitate the effective introduction of new voices to the high school curriculum.
Why participate in this PLC?
- You get exclusive access to online lectures from experts;
- You work closely with fellow philosophy teachers;
- You are coached in writing an article;
- You are supported during the publication process;
- You develop new teaching materials.
REGQUIREMENTS FOR PARTICIPATION
- You are a philosophy teacher at a Dutch school.
- You speak Dutch fluently, because the working language of the PLC meetings is Dutch.
- You have a good command of English, because the online lectures are in English and you will write an article in English.
DATE & TIME
- Friday, October 6, 2023, 15:30 – 17:00: online lecture
- Friday, October 13, 2023, 14:00 – 17:00: meeting
- Friday, November 17, 2023, 15:00 – 16:30: online lecture
- Friday, November 24, 2023, 14:00 – 17:00: meeting
- Friday, January 12, 2024, 15:00 – 16:30: online lecture
- Friday, January 19, 2024, 14:00 – 17:00: meeting
- Friday, February 2, 2024, 15:00 – 16:30: online lecture
- Friday, February 9, 2024, 14:00 – 17:00: meeting
- Friday, March 15, 2024, 15:30 – 17:00: online lecture
- Friday, April 19, 2024, 16:00 – 17:30: online lecture
- Friday, April 26, 2024, 14:00 – 17:00: meeting
- Friday, June 7, 2024, 15:30 – 17:00: online lecture
- Friday, June 14, 2024, 14:00 – 17:00: meeting
The programme consists of seven online lectures and six physical meetings at ICLON. Together with a colleague, you work towards a publication in the Journal of Didactics of Philosophy (JDPh).
In each online lecture, a non-canonical philosopher is introduced by an expert in their field. The meetings at Leiden University are used to translate the acquired knowledge into classroom learning activities. We aim at publishing the text of each lecture alongside the corresponding learning activity in an open-access special editon of the JDPh.
IMPORTANT: This PLG is offered in collaboration with ICLON. Teachers from ONZ partner schools can participate at a reduced fee of €425.
Aanmelden en meer informatie
Click on "Register" to sign up through the ICLON website.Aanmelden Meer informatie